Monday, March 25, 2013

In my clutches.

Let us consider the clutch, that small (usually) handheld (hence the name) necessaries-only handbag. I don't have many clutches, as I'm a backpack/shoulder bag girl, but I do have a few, and I use them to varying purpose.

For example, consider the Louis Vuitton pochette:



Plain, simple, clips to the ring inside of the LV Speedy, and frequently carried as an everyday clutch by folk who can only afford a little bit of Vuitton. I use mine as an incidentals pouch--pen, sticky notes, bibs and bobs--inside whatever larger bag I'm carrying. I will, in a pinch, dump it inside the bag and use it alone, but I've only done that once or twice.

I also have one of these gorgeous but determinedly utilitarian tool bags, that makes a wonderful clutch and occasional conversation piece:


It's about the size of a standard folded sheet of paper, a touch higher and longer, and I generally use it for papers and my Little Red Book of Everything Worth Writing Down. There's alo a larger version that can carry papers unfolded. From Klein Tools. I can't help but love a bag I have to order as a part number.


The first handbag I ever clearly remember owning was a small red pebbled leather clutch with a tiny short chain as a strap. I was allowed to buy it at a Goodwill store when I was five or six, largely because I refused to put it down, and I loved that little purse with all my heart. I still remember the inside of it, the smell of it, the way the clasp *snicked* just so as it closed. That's what started the bag obsession--it all comes down to The Little Red Purse. I don't have it anymore, as it was lost in a fire, and I've never found another, although I've been looking for decades. It looked something, but not quite, like this:



So I started with a clutch, usually holding a comb, hairpins, some coins, a pencil, and a Liddle Kiddle in a bunny suit, to a huge bag with my entire life in it. But I so long to be able to just carry a few essentials--lip balm, keys, a pen, debit card, and let the rest of the world take care of itself.

Have some clutchy eye candy.

From Uncovet.

From Dione von Furstenberg.

From Judith Leiber.

From Uncovet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts. I don't expect universal love but I do expect civil commentary. If you're a hater, don't play. Thanks!